Penfield Search Partners
Contact: Mark Maurer – email@example.com
- Develops expertise beyond biostatistics by researching the medical literature and regulatory documents to develop an understanding of the clinical, regulatory and commercial climate
- Contributes to preparation of the development strategy that will allow for effective and safe utilization of the product
- Drives the design of innovative and efficient clinical trials, including the selection of populations to study and endpoints to use. Develops trial designs that address study objectives that will support regulatory approval and market access.
- Translates scientific questions into statistical terms and statistical concepts into layman terms
- Challenges collaborator assumptions and positions based on facts and provide insights and perspective based on available information
- Ensures that all analyses conducted have clearly articulated hypotheses associated with them and that the trial design and data collected support conducting the analysis
- Communicates effectively with clinical and regulatory partners and external opinion leaders
- Builds the external reputation of company R&D via external interactions through collaborations with alliance partners, academic and government research organizations and through conference participation
- Authors and/or reviews protocol synopsis, protocol, statistical analysis plan, data presentation plan, case-report forms, clinical study reports, associated publications and other study level specification documents
- Exercises cost-disciplined science in sizing of the trials and in the planning for the analyses to be conducted
- Compliant with company processes and SOPs, global and project standards, and responsible for quality of deliverables
- Ensures programming team or vendor partner understands the nature of the clinical data being collected and the approaches to summarizing the information
- Collaborates with clinicians and medical writers to prepare summaries of results for use in regulatory documents and scientific articles
- Drives, with the Clinician, the interpretation of results, development of key messages and communication to the development team.
- Drives alignment at team (IPT) level, and escalates lack of team alignment to the GBS Lead for resolution
- Provides statistical consultation for ad hoc analysis requests including design of appropriate analyses to answer relevant questions
- Takes accountability for ensuring quality in all planning, design and execution of assignments associated with the assigned protocol or project.
- Keeps up-to-date with state-of-the art applied statistical methodology
Impact: The Biostatistician is responsible for strategic and scientific contributions at the indication/protocol/integrated analysis level. These contributions lead to better understanding of the asset being studied, improved development decisions, and an increased likelihood of regulatory and market success. This role has significant stakeholder management responsibility with business partners on their team. The biostatistician has responsibility for driving selection of optimal study designs, data collection, analytic approaches and rigorous interpretation of trial data. This person may interact with external vendors, key opinion leaders and regulatory agencies.
Success Factors: Effectively demonstrates fully functioning capability in the following areas:
- Leads Strategically
- Drives Performance
- Embraces Teamwork
- Communicates Directly
- Develops and Energizes People
GBS Leadership Success Factors:
- Leading and Managing Change
- Influence and Impact Relationships
- Decision Making
- Building a Learning Environment
- Emotional Intelligence
- Managing and Developing Performance
- Significant academic training in statistics, biostatistics or relevant areas of study. PhD degree in statistics or biostatistics or Master’s degree with relevant experience required.
- Understanding of the application of biostatistics to medical/clinical trials data.
- Ability to work successfully within cross-functional teams leading to successful global regulatory filings and approvals
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to the changing needs of the organization.
- Ability to organize multiple work assignments and establish priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills evidenced in interactions with individuals at all levels of the organization and demonstrated ability to develop relationships within the organization and leverage the formal and informal organizational structure to assist in goal achievement.